Friday, November 27, 2009

The Plan (originally posted 11/26/2009)

I have decided to try and build a xylophone. I am surprised by how hard it is to find good information on doing this. Most everything says just pick a material, cut it to varying lengths, and start beating on it. There are some websites that try to get you to buy their "plans" but I am wary of that. Several books are referenced, but they are all out of print and were never popular with libraries. I have found two resources that I am going to start with. The first is the website Making Music Fun, the second is the Dec. 1990 issue of American Woodworker magazine. I do not actually have a copy of the magazine yet, but I have placed a bid for one on eBay. I have also placed some books on hold with my local library, but they are mainly on marimbas. There is a new woodworking store opening in Champaign tomorrow and I am hoping to find some reasonably priced Honduran rosewood or at least some purple heart to make the bars from. I will continue to post my progress and maybe some day this information will help some one else who wants to make their own xylophone.

No comments:

Post a Comment